Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Nyepi Day

Nyepi is a Balinese "Day of Silence" that is commemorated every Isaawarsa (Saka new year) according to the Balinese calendar (in 2012, it fell on March 23rd). It is a day of silence, fasting, and meditation. The day following Nyepi is also celebrated as New year.

This is according to Wikipedia but to me it was awesome..My first Nyepi in Bali and I like the festival very much. Let me tell u the story..

One night before Nyepi started, there was a competition of Ogoh-Ogoh built by different Banjars (subdistricts) and the winner will have the Ogoh-Ogoh getting burned in the sea. I did not had the chance to see with Ogoh getting burned but I got tonnes of pics of it..
MAGNIFICO...

Started around 6pm till 12pm all the Ogoh-Ogoh were brought throughout Bali to promote it and proved that theirs was the best.

During Nyepi, we cannot switch on the lights,fires ro anything that gives luminance or something that shiny to Balinese cause to them if they looked at that it considered 'SIAL' and something bad will happen to them.
So I spent all my day with 2 packs of chicken porridge and one fried mee..INSTANT FOOD ALL THE WAY..Hehe...

Ok guys and girls...
Pics~!!!!!!






























Love TheCelebE from Bali...

No comments:

Post a Comment